Vietnamese Beef Pho
One of the greatest noodle soups with an easy to follow recipe – the broth is light yet full of flavour & scrumptiously beefy! The dish is completed with rice noodles, meat, herbs and a dash of lime! Follow us for more family favourite recipes!
|2 Large Yellow Onions|
|4 inch Ginger (crushed)|
|2 Cinnamon Sticks|
|2 Star Anise|
|2 tsp Coriander Seeds|
|4 cups Beef Broth|
|1 tbsp Fish Sauce|
|150g Round Eye Beef (or Sirloin)|
|150g Dried Rice Noodles (Bahn Pho, 1/16 , ⅛ , or ¼ in wide)|
|1 cup Bean Sprouts (washed & de-tailed)|
|1 cup Mixed Herbs - eg. Coriander, Thai Basil (roughly chopped)|
|2 Spring Onions (sliced)|
|1 Big Red Chilli or Chilli Padi (sliced)|
|1 to 2 Limes (cut in wedges)|
- Cut onions into quarters, keep one quarter to slice thinly and set them aside. Put the rest of the quarters into a large pot.
- Peel & chop the ginger into 4 parts, then crush and place into the pot.
- Pour the beef broth into the pot then add in the cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves, coriander seeds and fish sauce into the pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium & continue to simmer for 30 minutes with a cover.
- Meanwhile, freeze the beef round eye for 15 minutes. Slice it very thinly across the grain to nothing more than ¼ inch thick (it should be almost see through), then keep them covered and in the fridge until ready to be served.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil then pour a small amount of oil into the water, put the noodles into the water (following the package instructions) usually around 1-3 minutes. Drain the noodles and put them into some cold water to stop them cooking. Divide the noodles immediately into serving bowls.
- Strain the broth and put back into the pot and keep on low heat - it should not be boiling but it must stay hot for serving.
- Prepare the bowls of noodles - lay some sliced beef (in a single layer), some bean sprouts, thin slices of onion, coriander leaves, thai basil and spring onions on top of the noodles.
- Pour the steaming broth into the bowl on top of the raw beef so they will cook. Garnish with chillies (if desired), and wedges of lemon, then serve hot.