This refreshing & simple dish is commonly eaten by the Melanau community in Sarawak, however, it is also popularly served during celebrations like Gawai too. This is a dish of raw seafood with onions, chillies, vinegar, salt and lime juice, and is very similar to the South American dish “ceviche”. We have used prawns in this recipe but it is more often made with fish. Try this traditional dish out!
|400g Prawns (Deveined & Shelled)|
|10 Limes (juiced)|
|½ inch Ginger|
|4-5 cloves Garlic|
|1 Big Red Chilli|
|1 Red Chilli Padi (Thinly sliced)|
|½ Red Onion (Sliced)|
|½ tsp Salt (adjust if needed)|
|½ tsp Sugar (adjust if needed)|
- Slice the prawns in half lengthwise, cut into half if needed and set aside
- Cut the tops off the limes and squeeze out the juice, then slice 1 lime skin very thinly.
- Put the sliced prawns in a bowl and pour the lime juice evenly over them to let them ‘cook’ for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile pound the ginger, garlic and big red chilli until
- Then put in the sliced onion, sliced lime skins, sliced chilli padi and the pounded chilli mixture