Tofu Lettuce Wraps
Need something healthy and on-the-go? This handheld salad cups recipe is for you! It’s quick to prepare and easy to eat, perfect as a quick breakfast or even as a side dish.. Tell us what would be your choice of topping for this!
Quick & Easy
|1 tin (565g) Water Chestnuts|
|3 tbsp Hoisin Sauce|
|3 tbsp Light Soy Sauce|
|1 tbsp Rice Vinegar|
|1 tsp Sesame Seed Oil|
|2 tsp Cooking Oil|
|2 pcs Firm Tofu*|
|150g Swiss Brown Mushroom (diced)|
|2 cloves Garlic (minced)|
|2 tsp Ginger (grated)|
|½ tsp Red Chilli Flakes|
|5 stalks Spring Onion (chopped)|
|8 pcs Romaine Lettuce|
|½ Carrot (grated)|
|2 tbsp White Sesame Seeds|
|4 tbsp Sambal|
- Drain 1 tin (approx 565g) of water chestnuts well & dice them into small pieces.
- Next, combine the hoisin sauce, light soy sauce, rice vinegar & sesame seed oil in a bowl. Mix well & set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of cooking oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium high heat. Crumble the tofu into the frying pan & cook for about 5 minutes. Then add in the mushrooms & continue to cook for another 5 minutes until any remaining tofu liquid has cooked off.
- Add in the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red chilli flakes & 4 cut stalks of the spring onion (keeping 1 stalk aside for garnishing). Cook for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the sauce mixture & stir to coat everything well then remove from heat.
- Spoon the mixture into individual washed and dried romaine lettuce leaves. Garnish with the remaining spring onions, some grated carrot & sesame seeds. Serve with your favourite sambal or chilli sauce.
NB: Remove as much liquid as possible from the firm tofu by pressing them gently between paper towels. Replace the soggy paper towels & press again. Repeat another 2 or 3 times if necessary.