Serunding is a dish derived from rendang; it is the floss version of rendang which is usually made from beef or chicken. This edition, we are making this classic dish using coconut instead.
|300g Shredded Coconut|
|½ tsp Turmeric Powder|
|3 tbsp Dried prawns (soaked 10 mins.)|
|3 tbsp Dried chilli paste|
|1 tsp Tamarind paste|
|4 Kaffir leaves|
|120g Gula Melaka|
|½ tsp Salt|
|¼ cup Cooking oil|
|2 Red onions|
|2 Garlic cloves|
|2 Stalks lemongrass|
|1 tbsp Coriander powder|
|1 tsp Fennel powder|
|1 tsp Cumin powder|
|¼ cup water (more if needed)|
- In a bowl, mix the shredded coconut and turmeric powder.
- In a wok heat up the coconut mixture on medium and dry fry until it becomes dry and light, then set aside.
- In a clean wok add the cooking oil, then add the blended ingredients and fry until fragrant.
- Add the chilli paste and Kaffir leaves and stir well.
- And the tamarind paste, salt and Gula Melaka and stir until well combined.
- Add the shredded coconut and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the mixture dries up.