We all know this is not an easy dish to prepare, but patience is such a virtue when making any great rendang. We’ve broken down this challenging dish into some simple steps, admittedly with a few short cuts, but once it’s all in the pot you can perhaps do some laundry or watch one episode of your favourite show on Netflix while it simmers to perfection.
|Spice Paste Ingredients:|
|30 g Galangal (sliced)|
|3 Lemongrass (white stalks sliced)|
|30 g Ginger (sliced)|
|6 cloves Garlic|
|13 Shallots/Small Onions|
|7 slices Turmeric|
|1 kg Beef (cubed)|
|½ cup Chili Paste|
|½ cup Coconut Milk|
|1 tbsp Salt|
|25 g Palm Sugar|
|3 Lemongrass (white stalks pounded)|
|1 Tumeric Leaf (sliced)|
|3 Kaffir Lime Leaves (sliced)|
|1½ cup Coconut Paste|
- Add all ingredients for the spice paste into a blender, add 1 cup of water and blend until fine, then set aside.
- Add in 200ml oil to heated cooking pot, add blended spice paste and stir until simmering.
- Add in chilli paste and coconut milk then mix.
- Add in the beef and 2 cups of water.
- Add in salt, palm sugar, pounded lemongrass, turmeric leaf and kaffir lime leaves. Stir to mix and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add Coconut Paste and stir to mix evenly.
- Let it simmer and cook for 2 hours on low heat. Stir occasionally.