So if you’re like one of those who are trying to eat a plant-based or vegetarian diet this is perfect for you. This delicious dish uses the fermented soy product fried with chillies and anchovies (skip the anchovies if u want to be 100% plant-based).
Traditionally Javanese, these soya beancakes can now be found quite easily all over the world in Asian supermarkets. You can also add peanuts, potatoes or ‘petai’ to this sambal, but cook it whatever way you prefer, coz it’s packed with vitamins & protein and it’s just too sedap not to try.
|2 Red Chillies (add more if you prefer spicy)|
|2 cloves Garlic|
|1 tbsp Sugar|
|1 tbsp Sweet Soya Sauce|
|1 tbsp Soya Sauce|
|1 ½ tsp Salt|
|1 tsp Tamarind (mixed with 2 tbsp Water)|
|1 cup Fried Anchovies|
- Thinly slice the chillies, onion and garlic
- Slice the tempe into 2 inch long strips
- Deep fry the tempe for about 10-15mins on medium heat, set aside
- In a clean wok add 2 tbsp oil, fry the onion, garlic and chillies til fragrant
- Then add the soya sauce, sweet soy sauce, tamarind, sugar and salt into the wok and stir - fry on medium heat for 2 mins
- Add the tempe into the wok and stir well for 2 mins
- Finally add in the fried anchovies for 1 min, and it’s done!