Roti Jala is so simple to make once you get the hang of it. You may need to try it a couple of times and there are many recipes out there that may suggest more ingredients like coconut milk or daun pandan, and they’re not wrong as it does add that little extra special aroma. But if you don’t have those in the pantry don’t worry, because, like all our recipes on SedapTV, we offer you the simplest version for those who have never tried Malaysian recipes like this before, giving you great results.
|150 g all-purpose Flour|
|¼ tsp ground Turmeric|
|½ tsp Salt|
|1 large Egg|
|1⅓ cup Water (or ⅓ coconut milk & 1 cup water)|
- Sieve then pour the flour into a bowl
- Add in the egg, salt, and turmeric powder and stir gently
- Sieve the mixture to remove the lumps
- Pour the mixture into a bottle with holes at the top
- Add a light layer of oil into the pan
- Pour out the batter from the bottle, moving in circular motion to create the net-like pancake
- On low heat allow the crepe to cook until the bottom side is slightly brown and the top has set (do not flip).
- Gently slide it off the pan and then roll it, from the sides first then from the bottom to top (you could do this on some aluminum foil if you’re worried it may stick)