Love Pizzas? Then, you’ll love this classic Italian deep-fried pocket pizza, Panzerotti! Also known as “pizze fritte” or “fried pizzas” in Italy, this savoury streetfood snack is filled with fresh mozzarella and Italian tomato sauce (we made it using Cirio Passata Tomato Puree). Often made with other fillings too…. Why not try it yourself today, and share ur creations with us!
|250g 00 Flour|
|250g Manitoba Wheat Flour (Bread / High Protein flour)|
|285ml Water (lukewarm)|
|8ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|3g Instant Yeast|
|250g Galbani Mozzarella Cheese|
|200g Cirio Passata Tomato Puree|
|½ tsp Oregano|
|1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
- Mix the 00 flour & manitoba wheat, then add yeast, sugar & then add half of the water.
- Once well mixed in, add 10g salt, & remaining water gradually. Add 8ml Olive oil & continue to mix until dough has combined.
- Knead the dough until nice and smooth. Shape into a long sausage.
- Cut the dough into 12 parts, about 80g each then fold and roll them into balls. Place them on a lined tray & cover cloth to rise for 1.5 hrs.
- Next, cut the mozzarella into small cubes & drain in a sieve.
- In a pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil & add in the tomato puree and 6g salt, cook for 15 mins stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the sauce into a bowl, & add in the oregano, stir well then leave it to cool.
- Once the dough has risen, sprinkle a little flour on your surface then roll & flatten each ball out into a circle with even thickness.
- Pour 1 tbsp of tomato sauce in the centre of the circle, then put in some mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the dough in a crescent moon shape, seal the ends carefully & trim the edge with a pizza cutter. Be sure to not trim it too close to the filling to avoid spillage while frying.
- Heat up some oil in a pot at 170°c & carefully fry each Panzerotti until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.