Here’s a FUN way to marinade your chicken and prepare these juicy little chicken treats. Wrap them up with Pandan Leaves! The aroma from the fresh leaves infuses into the chicken as you fry them, adding another layer of flavour that compliments the wet marinate. You have to try it!
|6 cloves Shallots|
|3 cloves Garlic|
|½ inch Fresh Turmeric|
|4 pcs Coriander Root|
|2 tsp Palm Sugar (10 g)|
|Water (as needed, 4 tbsp Water)|
|485g Chicken Thigh (skinless & boneless, cut into bite-size pieces)|
|2 tsp Ginger Paste*|
|2 tsp Lemongrass Paste*|
|1 tbsp Oyster Sauce|
|1 tsp Light Soy Sauce|
|2 tbsp Fish Sauce|
|1 tbsp Sesame Oil|
|1½ tbsp Coconut Milk|
|½ tsp White Pepper|
|1 tsp Cornflour|
|20 pcs Pandan Leaves|
|Vegetable Oil (for frying)|
- Blend together the shallots, garlic, fresh turmeric, coriander root & palm sugar. Add a little bit of water as needed. Then pour the blended mixture into a bowl of the bite-sized pieces of chicken thighs. Mix well.
- Then add in the ginger paste, lemongrass paste, oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce & sesame oil and continue to mix evenly. Finally add in the coconut milk, white pepper & cornflour. Let the chicken rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Clean the pandan leaves & wipe dry. We recommend using a wider-sized pandan leaf to wrap the chicken pieces. Twist one piece of pandan leaf to form a pocket & place a piece of marinated chicken. Tuck in the ends of the leaf to secure the chicken. You can refer to our video for the wrapping technique. Repeat until all the chicken pieces are wrapped.
- Heat up enough vegetable oil to fry the chicken over medium heat. Fry the wrapped chicken pieces for about 4 minutes each side or until you can see the exposed parts turn golden brown.
- Remove from the heat & drain the excess oil on some kitchen paper. Serve hot with your favourite chilli sauce.
NB: If you don’t have lemongrass & ginger paste, you can substitute with 2 sticks of lemongrass (sliced at the top) and 1 inch young ginger. Blend them together with the other blended ingredients.