Mozzarella in Carrozza directly translates to “Mozzarella in Carriage” in Italian. Why? Because the melted mozzarella strands look like the reins of a horse and carriage when you pull them apart! Try making this authentic Italian dish, and serve it while it’s hot to enjoy the cheese pull in a crunchy breadcrumb coating.
|12 pc White Bread (slices)|
|500 gram Galbani Mozzarella Cheese|
|1 tspn Salt|
|5 Eggs (Large, beaten)|
|100 gram Italian 00 Flour (sifted)|
|300 gram Breadcrumbs Cooking Oil|
- Cut the Galbani Whole Mozzarella Cheese into about 1 cm slices and put them on a tray lined with some kitchen paper. Cover the cheese slices with more kitchen paper and press gently to remove excess water. If necessary, use more kitchen paper until it is completely dry.
- Take a piece of bread and arrange 4 pieces of the sliced mozzarella to cover the entire surface of the bread. Sprinkle 1/16 tsp (a pinch) of salt over the cheese then cover it with another piece of bread.
- Gently press the bread down then trim the edges with a knife to remove the crust.
- Cut the sandwich diagonally in half, and then half again to get 4 small triangles.
- Prepare the eggs by breaking them into a bowl and beat lightly. Then prepare the sifted Italian 00 flour and breadcrumbs in two other separate dishes.
- Take each small triangle sandwich and dip it into the flour, followed by the egg until it is completely coated. Put each piece onto a plate to drain it well from the egg, this helps to avoid any lumps.
- Then, dip it in breadcrumbs and coat it evenly. Put each breaded mozzarella sandwich onto a lined baking tray. Place the tray of sandwiches in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- After the breaded mozzarella has set, repeat the breading process by dipping into the egg and breadcrumbs again. Store them in the fridge again to set for another 30 minutes.
- Pour some cooking oil into a pot and bring it to a temperature of 170° C maximum or medium heat. Put in a few pieces at a time and fry for 1-2 minutes, turning them occasionally.
- When they are golden brown, drain them on some kitchen towel, then serve the Mozzarella in Carrozza and be enjoyed immediately!
NB: We recommend taking out the mozzarella cheese from its packaging a day before, so it will be drier, but keep in the fridge in an airtight container until used.