Kuih Pie Tee
Let’s get the PIE TEE started! Suitable for gatherings or just for you to enjoy, this recipe is surprisingly easy to make at home!
The thin and crispy shells house thinly sliced jicama turnip, carrots and omelette, topped with homemade chilli sauce.
Or get creative with the fillings and add whatever you want in yours!
|Pie Tee Shells: 50g All-purpose Flour, 50g Rice Flour, 25g Cornstarch, ¼ tsp Salt, 1 Egg (beaten), 200ml Water, 4½ cups Vegetable Oil (or enough to submerge the mould fully)|
|Filling: 300g Jicama Turnip (grated), 150g Carrot (grated), 100g French Beans, 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil, 10g Shallots (minced), 10g Garlic (minced), 35g Dried Shrimp (soaked & chopped), ¼ tsp Chicken Stock Granules, 1½ tsp Sugar, ¼ tsp White Pepper|
|Chilli Sauce: 4 pcs Red Chillies (roughly chopped), 5 cloves Garlic, 10g Ginger, 2 tbsp White Vinegar, 2 tbsp Sugar, ¼ tsp Salt, 4 tbsp Water|
|Garnish: Omelette (thin & cut into long strips), Chinese Celery (chopped), Spring Onion (chopped)|
- To make the shell: sift the all-purpose flour, rice flour, cornflour & ¼ tsp salt into a bowl. Combine with the beaten egg & water then mix well. Strain the batter to remove any lumps and set aside to rest for 1 hour.
- Heat up 4½ cups of vegetable oil on medium heat for deep frying. Oil should be enough to submerge the pie tee mould. Once the oil is hot, dip the mould into the oil to heat it up.
- Once the mould is hot enough, take it out & shake off excess oil then dip it into the batter until almost to the brim. Gently dip the coated mould into the hot oil. Let it fry for a few seconds until the shell turns light brown & can be separated from the mould.
- To loosen the shell from the mould, jiggle the mould up & down, then carefully remove the shell using a chopstick. Continue frying the shell for about 1 minute until it turns golden brown & remove from oil. Repeat until the batter is finished.
- To make the filling, grate (or julienne) the jicama and carrots, then thinly slice the french beans. Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan & fry the minced shallots & garlic. Add in the chopped dried shrimps & fry until fragrant.
- Add in the grated jicama, carrots & french beans. Mix well. Then add in the chicken stock granules, sugar & white pepper and continue mixing for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat & let it cool.
- To make the garlic chilli sauce, place the red chillies, garlic, ginger, white vinegar, sugar, salt and water into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- To assemble the pie tee, spoon the stir-fried jicama mixture into the shells. Garnish the top with strips of omelette & chopped chinese celery. Serve with the garlic chilli sauce.