Kuih Lapis (Steamed Layer Cake)
Here is a simple and easy way to make this Malaysian childhood favourite, change the colours or flavours to make it your own style, but it can be just this simple.
|350 g Tapioca flour|
|100 g Rice flour|
|500 ml Water|
|200 g Sugar|
|500 ml Coconut milk|
|¼ tsp Salt|
|Red/Rose food colouring (or any other colour)|
- Sieve tapioca flour and rice flour together into a bowl
- Add the coconut milk , sugar, salt & vanilla extract into the flour and whisk well to make sure there are no lumps (sieve the mixture if still lumpy).
- Divide it into two equal portions and add food coloring into one portion, keeping one portion white.
- Grease a 7-inch square or round cake pan and place in steaming pot for few minutes over high heat.
- Pour a layer of the red colored mixture into the heated pan and steam at high heat for about 4 minutes or until cooked.
- Then gently pour a layer of the white mixture onto it and steam for another 4 minutes.
- Repeat the same procedure, alternating red and white liquid until you have 7 layers, remember to stir well each time before pouring.
- Steam an extra 5 mins after the last red layer.
- Leave Kuih Lapis to cool completely, then invert the cake pan to gently knock out the kuih.
- Grease knife with little oil before cutting to serve.