Save money on takeout (and calories) with this Quick & Easy homemade version! You can even try this on your grill toaster (yup the one you use for grilled cheese sandwiches) if you don’t have an oven or cooking top.
|1 pound boneless, skinless Chicken breast* (cut into 1-inch strips)|
|1 tsp Brown Sugar|
|1 tbsp freshly grated Ginger|
|3 cloves of Garlic, minced|
|1 tsp Curry powder|
|1 cup Coconut milk|
|2 stalks fresh Lemongrass (thinly sliced)* optional|
|2 tbsp Oil|
|4 cloves Garlic|
|2 inch Ginger|
|6 Dried chillies (blend with water to make a paste)|
|1 cup roasted Peanuts (gently pounded in a pestle & mortar)|
|½ cup Water|
|2 tbsp Palm sugar (Gula Melaka)|
- To make the peanut sauce: Heat some oil, add in the shallots, garlic, ginger, chilli paste and cook a few minutes
- Add the grounded roasted peanuts, and stir in the water.
- If the mixture is too thick, add more water as needed until desired consistency is reached; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, ginger, garlic, curry powder and coconut milk ( add in some lemon grass, if using).
- Mix in the chicken and marinate for at least 15mins (if you have the patience to wait for 1 hour even better!). Stir occasionally to make sure the marinade reaches all the chicken pieces.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto skewers.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Place chicken skewer in a single layer and grill until cooked through, about 5 mins per side
- Serve immediately with peanut sauce.
The reason we make the lemon grass optional is just because not everyone has it growing in their gardens, and may not have had time to get some. So it’s fine without but definitely great if you do. We’ve also used organic brown sugar because we try to keep things healthier, but regular white sugar is fine too.