This vegetable Dhal recipe is a dairy-free vegan soup that is hearty and delicious, but also easy and… really budget friendly! We at SedapTV love Dhal, as it’s packed with nutritious & healthy ingredients . So let’s ‘Dhal’ it up a notch and enjoy this step by step guide to get the perfect Naan dipping dish!
|100g Bombay Dhal (small beans)|
|100g Mysore Dhal (Orange beans)|
|100g Malawi Dhal (Larger beans)|
|2 Tbsp Salt|
|5 cloves Garlic (pounded)|
|1 tsp Turmeric|
|3 (med) Potatoes|
|1 tsp Mix Herbs (mustard seeds, fenugreek, urad dhal, cumin seeds)|
|1 tsp Cumin powder|
|1 tbsp Curry powder|
|2 Red Onions (slice)|
|2 stems of Curry leaves|
|2 dried Chillis|
|2 Indian Drumstick (moringa)* optional|
|4 tbsp Cooking oil|
|½ tbsp Tamarind paste|
|1 stem Coriander|
- First rinse all the dhal well
- Combine all three dhal in a pot with water together with salt, turmeric and 2 cloves of garlic and boil for 30mins.
- Add in potato, carrots and boil for 10 more minutes, set aside once done
- In a wok, heat up oil and add mix herbs, onion, 3 pounded garlic, dried chillies and curry leaves and fry until lightly brown. Then add drumstick, curry powder & cumin powder.
- Add cooked dhal to herb mixture into the wok and cook for 3 minutes (if it looks too thick add a little water)
- Add in the cauliflower and tomatoes & cook for 5 minutes
- Then add tamarind paste, coriander leaves and boil for an additional 2 minutes.