Attention to all seafood lovers: now you can eat hard-shelled crabs cooked in a flavorful sweet, salty, chili-hot tomato sauce at the comfort of your own home. Prepare accordingly, then proceed to eating like nobody’s watching! We suggest you pair this Chilli Crab with our Chinese Steamed Buns recipe for the perfect combo.
|1 KG Crab|
|1 Big Red Onion|
|3 Big Red Chillies|
|3 Dried Chillies|
|3 Cloves Garlic|
|2 Inch Ginger|
|4 Tsp Tamarind Paste (w/ 1 tsp water)|
|2 Tsp Belacan (Dry fried)|
|1 Tsp Sugar|
|3 Tsp Salt|
|1/2 Cup Tomato Puree|
|1/2 Cup Chilli Sauce|
|2 Tsp Chilli Boh (Blended Chilli)|
|1/2 Cup Water|
|Coriander Leaves (For Garnishing)|
- Clean and cut the crab, making sure to also cut or lightly break the shell to ensure the flavours go into the crab meat.
- Put the cut onion, red chilies, garlic, ginger, tamarind paste, and belacan into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat up a little oil in a wok, then pour in the blended chilli mix and stir well on med-high heat until it becomes fragrant.
- Then add the crab into the wok and stir until the crab turns an orange colour. Add the salt and sugar.
- Whisk two eggs in a separate bowl, then pour them into the wok, then keep stirring so the egg is well incorporated in the sauce.
- Cover the wok with a lid, and let it simmer on low heat for about 8-10mins.
Depending on your preference you may want to add more chillies, or chilli padi, this recipe is a mild version of this dish.