Dinners at home wouldn’t be complete without a vegetable dish. Save this Braised Mushrooms & Broccoli recipe for your go-to everyday meal. Don’t forget to keep an eye on your vegetables when you’re blanching them, as too much time in the hot water will make it soft and lose all it’s nutritional value.
|150g Dried Shiitake Mushrooms (soak til soft)|
|300g Broccoli (cut into florets)|
|20g Ginger (skinned, cut into slices)|
|1 Carrot (cut into slices)|
|1 tbsp Vegetable oil|
|1 tbsp Salt|
|1 tbsp Oyster sauce|
|1 tsp Soy sauce|
|¼ tsp Salt|
|1 tsp Sugar|
|½ tsp White Pepper|
|1 ½ cup Mushroom water (from soaked mushrooms)|
|1 tsp Cornstarch (add 1 tsp water)|
- Soak the mushrooms in a big bowl of water and set aside for about 1.5 hours, or until they are softened.
- Strain the mushrooms, keeping 1 ½ cups of the mushroom water, and set the water aside for later.
- Cut the mushroom stalks with a sharp knife or scissors
- Boil 2 cups of water in a wok and add in some salt, then carefully put the broccoli florets in for about 1-2mins (blanched), then remove them from the wok.
- In the same wok blanch the carrot slices for 1 min and then remove them, and set aside
- In a clean wok heat some oil and then add in the ginger slices, then add in the mushrooms and fry until fragrant, then add in the sugar, white pepper, oyster sauce, soya sauce and salt, stir well.
- Add in the saved mushroom water and then cover and simmer on low heat for 15mins
- Finally add in the carrots and cornstarch (added to a bit of water) and stir for a few minutes.
- Serve the mushrooms & carrots mixture on a plate with the blanched broccoli.