A different take on a classic recipe, this is an over-the-top, delicious and great way to use up overripe bananas. It’s also kept moist with our secret ingredient: Greek yogurt! Top it up with a lemon glaze, and you’ll get a mouthful of fruity flavours in each bite. Not typically a Malaysian dessert, but we Malaysians sure do love our banana bread!
|6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled|
|2 cups all purpose flour|
|¾ cup sugar|
|¾ tsp baking powder|
|½ tsp salt|
|2 large eggs|
|1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium bananas)|
|¼ cup plain Greek yogurt|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
|1 ½ cups mixed blueberries, raspberries and blackberries (if frozen, do not thaw)|
|3 tbsp lemon juice|
|1/2 cup powdered sugar (or more if you want a thicker glaze) - Whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth|
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Peel and mash the bananas. In a bowl, combine the eggs, mashed bananas, yogurt, melted butter, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the banana mixture. Stir gently until just combined, being careful not to over mix. Gently fold in 1 cup of the berries, reserving ½ cup for topping.
- Pour batter into a greased bread pan. Sprinkle ½ cup of the remaining berries on top, gently pressing them down into the batter.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. If bread seems to be brown too quickly, cover with aluminum foil.
Drizzle the lemon glaze on the top of the bread just before eating.